Friday, March 6, 2015

TARDIS Pencil Holder

I like to make little projects in between waiting on something for bigger projects, just to keep busy and also to have something to put on the blog at regular intervals. This week I needed a pencil holder for the shop. I could have made a square holder and left it at that, but I really wanted little things that I love to show up around the shop. So, I decided to make it into a TARDIS. For those of you who don't know a TARDIS is, it's a Time And Relative Dimension In Space ship from the show Doctor Who. If you haven't seen the show I envy you because you can now go and discover a whole new universe of awesomeness and brilliant storytelling. Anyway, I started with four pieces of plywood. Ignore the sizes in the picture I had it in my head that it would create a square but I ended up cutting the two bigger pieces thinner to match the width of the smaller two pieces.


Then I glued and nailed them together.


I then cut out a square to make a bottom, glued and nailed it into place.


Next came the trim. I cut these mostly with my miter box and hand saw.



I glued the trim on the other sides and did them all the same as the first side.



I have a lot of leftover TARDIS blue paint from the memorial bench project, so it got a few coats.
 



I then added some details with paint and a blue sharpie.


I was hoping to have it done today but I think I'm gonna have to print out the rest of the details and glue them on because I couldn't find a white paint pen today and I'll have to do that at my sister's house. I'll be sure to post pictures of it when it's all done but I really wanted to get a post up today so this is the stage it's at now. I also decided that I didn't want to hide it away in the garage so It's getting top billing on the desk in the living room and the tiki pencil holder I have there now will be used in the garage. I made the tiki pencil holder as well when I was in high school so it will still add a little of my work in the garage as I had originally intended. Here's the tiki pencil holder because I know I've piqued your interest.

I just noticed that I haven't made a post on the memorial bench project so I'll get pictures and the story behind it up here soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment