Friday, December 12, 2014

My dad is better than your dad

My dad has worked at his job for twenty years now. A job that he has to drive about 45 min to get to each day. His work decided twenty years gets you a nice gift. He got to choose what he wanted and he picked a combo drill and driver kit. It came in and he wanted to give it to me. I said no of course, he deserved it. I mean twenty years, come on!  He said he already had some, so I said why don't you just give me the old ones then. He said he couldn't do that because they were a gift from us kids. I was stuck at an impasse. He told my mom that if I could lift the bag they were mine. Of course I could lift it. So that's how I ended up with these beautiful babies. 

Up until now I had one drill. I chose a corded drill that was fairly inexpensive at the time because I had always had bad luck with batteries. They go out when you need them, they don't hold a charge that sort of thing but I've come to love them for their portability and especially on these ones, balance. The drill I have now is a power horse but has no adjustable torque, so it pretty much strips most the screws I use unless I try to be very careful.  I also only had one drill, so I continuously had to change back and forth between the drill bit and the screw bit, which actually wears on my hands. Now, especially when using pocket holes, I can drill with one and use the impact driver to screw in the screw. No changing back and forth. This will really cut down my construction time and I won't have stripped screws all the time, which is the fastest way to get me cursing in the shop. 

I'd also like to mention that I've always stolen his tools if I could lift them. I have several of his tools on long loan in my shop at this moment, and even though I treat them with respect now, I used to mess them up. Like the time I took his hammer and chisels to split rocks in the backyard to see what was inside. And other times when I took them even after he told me not to, then left them outside to rust.

So thanks Dad, you're the best!

p.s. my mom is also better than your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment