Friday, April 17, 2015

Tardis Memorial Bench

I promised to do a post on the Tardis bench I built so here it is. I think I put the pictures on facebook but never did a post about it. This bench was made in memory of Sydney Lemon. She was a young girl from our church who was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. Her father is the youth pastor at our church as well. I believe it was about six months from the time of her diagnosis to when she lost her battle with the disease but gained the ultimate reward of eternal life in heaven. Today would have been her 13th birthday. Her journey really hit me as she was diagnosed shortly after I started dealing with the worst part of my depression. I followed her updates on facebook and it really struck me how positive she remained while dealing with this devastating illness. I thought if she could fight that hard against something so big, I could get through my rough patch as well. I prayed a lot for her during that time. After awhile my prayers even changed from curing her disease to just helping to clear the infections so she could advance to the next stage of the fight, as I knew she would fight. I also prayed a lot for her and her family to feel peace, knowing what it was like not to have any at the time. When I heard of her passing, I felt an instant need to create something for her parents. She was their only child and having an only child myself, I couldn't even imagine what they were going through. I had gotten to where I could do woodworking again and it was partly this little girl that got me there. I've never started and finished a project with such focus before. Each step of the build was a blur and before I knew it, I had finished the bench. I chose to alter Ana White's woven back bench to resemble a Tardis from Doctor Who because we were both big fans of the series. I added a little plaque but it would never photograph well for me. It basically said in memory of Sydney Elizabeth Lemon with dates and such. The Things Remembered store in our mall was so helpful with this, just great customer service. I love how it turned out and I hope it's of some comfort to the Lemon family. Please raise awareness of Aplastic Anemia, get more people donating blood and plasma, and finding a cure for this disease.



No comments:

Post a Comment