Friday, July 31, 2015

Porch Swing (kind of)

Yes I built a beautiful porch swing... well I built this bird sized porch swing for my mother-in-law. I don't think I've made her anything yet so I wanted to find something. I looked at bird feeders because she always seems to have a bunch at her house and likes feeding them. I remembered Steve Ramsey's porch swing bird feeder that he built and decided on that project. I believe he got the idea from Matt McDowell. I finally got to use some of the oak pallet boards I've been saving which made it pretty sturdy with mostly just glue to hold it together. I didn't do any sanding and tried to keep the burn marks from the table saw on the back of the feeder. I also kept as many weathered edges as I could. I finished it with spray lacquer which is safe for the birds. My mother-in-law is going to attach the chains as I didn't have any and I didn't really know where or how high she'd want to hang it. There's a screen sandwiched on the bottom to keep the seeds as dry as possible which is probably a non issue here in California.



No comments:

Post a Comment